National

Ex-senator loses another High Court battle

By AAP Newswire

Disqualified senator Rod Culleton has lost a High Court bid to have his parliamentary eligibility case reopened.

His barrister, former solicitor-general David Bennett QC, told the court on Monday if the case was reopened, evidence would be used to prove his election to parliament was improperly referred.

He said the Hansard video would show there were not enough senators present in the upper house when his election to parliament was referred to the court in November 2016.

Under the constitution, the Senate requires one-third of members to be present to operate, though often there are fewer in the chamber unless attention is drawn to it.

Chief Justice Susan Kiefel told the court on Friday the argument had "no firm foundation".

The High Court ruled last year Mr Culleton was ineligible to run for parliament due to a larceny conviction which carried a possible one-year jail term.