A South Australian coroner has called for a public awareness campaign around the dangers at a popular beach, after the drownings of three children.
An inquest was conducted into the deaths of 11-year-old friends Thiery Niyomungere and Frank Ndikuriyo, who died on New Year's Day 2016, and 15-year-old Nitisha Negi, who died at Glenelg beach in December 2017.
All three drowned near a rock breakwater at the northern end of the beach.
The two boys, originally from Burundi in central Africa, had been at the beach with their families, while Ms Negi had been in Adelaide playing with the Under 18 Indian football team competing in the Pacific School Games.
Handing down his findings on Monday, deputy coroner Anthony Schapel recommended the state government conduct a paper and electronic media campaign highlighting the dangers associated with the breakwater.
He said the campaign should make the public aware of the fatalities, the restrictions around swimming near the breakwater and the responsibility of parents and caregivers to monitor their children.
Mr Schapel also urged greater engagement with multicultural communities around water safety, and supported a push to keep surf lifesavers on the beach beyond 6pm on weekends and public holidays.
During the inquest, the court heard people continue to swim at the breakwater despite the three drownings, warning signs and ongoing dangers.
Volunteer surf lifesaver Lisa Harvey, who was patrol captain on the day the two boys drowned, said while there had been no further deaths, the potential for tragedy continued as people did not heed the warnings.
"The dangers are still there," she said.
Ms Harvey said volunteer lifesavers also had no power or authority to prevent people from going on the rocks or to tell people what they could or couldn't do.
She said the area was dangerous because of surging waves which did not break and could easily take people's feet out from under them.
"The currents are continuous and can sweep you away quite quickly," she said.